The Utility Expo is back and bigger than ever. With more than 900 exhibitors covering 32+ acres of exhibit space, there’s a lot to see and do!
We asked veteran attendees and our staff to share their best advice for first-timers coming to the show. Here are 20 things you need to know before you travel to Louisville, plus tips for maximizing your time once you arrive.
- Plan ahead. Spend some time reviewing the map of the show floor and all of the manufacturers and suppliers who will be exhibiting. (View Exhibitor Directory)
- Download the app for your phone. Use it to create a personalized schedule and stay on track each day. (Search “The Utility Expo” in your app store. Available on Apple and Android.)
- Check to see if your hotel offers free shuttle service to and from the show, saving you money on parking. (View Hotel & Travel Information)
- Take advantage of flight discounts. Flight discounts are available for everyone on domestic and international flights to Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport (SDF). (View participating airlines)
- Pick up your badge early. Take advantage of remote badge pickup at the airport and multiple outdoor locations at the show. (Airport badge pickup is located near baggage claim E next to the Alamo rental car counter from Sunday, September 26 – Tuesday, September 28 from 10:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m.)
- Pack for all weather conditions. Mornings can be cool and afternoons can be hot or rainy, but with the right clothes you’ll be ready for anything.
- Bring a couple pairs of comfortable shoes. This is a demo show, so be prepared to get a little dust on your boots and put a few miles on!
- Operate the equipment. Arguably the best part of The Utility Expo is being able to compare equipment head-to-head. Go ahead, get in and get hands-on.
- Be curious. Exhibitors love to share knowledge, answer all of your burning questions and listen to feedback.
- Don’t get hung up on just visiting your favorite brands. There are a lot of new technologies and companies to see and evaluate.
- Put in the time. The show only comes once every two years, so make every effort to be at the show all three days.
- Take home some knowledge. Field classrooms are a great way to learn about the latest equipment, technology and tools from industry experts. (View Education Options)
- Exchange ideas with peers. The Jobsite presented by Planet Underground will consist of an 80,000 square foot outdoor space dedicated to creating an actual construction site. This peer-to-peer environment is the ideal discuss business challenges, learn equipment and technology best practices and solve damage prevention issues.
- Snag some souvenirs. Hats, t-shirts and other swag will be available at the official show merchandise store and at exhibitor booths.
- Take breaks off your feet. Use the show shuttles and golf carts to get from lot to lot with ease.
- Have fun and make new connections! There are plenty of opportunities to network at the show and afterhours. (View Events)
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Don’t forget to drink lots of water, limit the alcohol and don’t hit it too hard at night.
- Show off your badge. Get discounts and special offers throughout the city just by showing your event badge. (View Show Us Your Badge Program Participants)
- Be respectful of health and safety guidelines. The show will follow the guidelines of the CDC, the State of Kentucky and KEC to ensure a safe experience for all show participants. (View Health & Safety Commitment)
- Stay in the know. Sign up for The Utility Expo’s free, monthly e-newsletter to get the latest industry trends delivered straight to your inbox.
Join thousands of industry peers who receive utility construction industry news and trends each week. Subscribe to The Utility Expo Newsletter.